Country Manager – onshore/offshore Renewable Energy (USA)
Country Manager – Onshore/Offshore Renewables (USA)
Job ID: CMW-X
Location: Work remote to develop and support East Coast/ USA projects
Compensation: $155k up to $185k base + 8% up to 10% bonus + employee benefits + employee owned company
Work Authorization: Must be US Citizen or Green card holder
We are seeking a highly capable and motivated individual based in the USA with overall responsibility to establish, lead and expand the North America business with the full support of the UK parent company. The role will focus on the launch, development, and management of local service offerings across the existing transmission, onshore and developing offshore wind markets. This will involve defining and introducing the right strategy for the local market to ensure the business establishes itself successfully in the region. There will also be the opportunity to deliver consultancy projects across power systems, renewable energy connections, noise, and environmental planning, depending on the candidate’s background and expertise.
The early stages of this role will involve wearing many hats from brand ambassador and business development to supporting operational delivery and control. It will involve being an intermediary between the parent company and the US entity and support team. It is likely that this role will be split as the business becomes larger in terms of contracts and people depending on the core discipline of the individual. The role will also work with the International Business Development Director, The Corporate Development Director, and the relevant Team Directors to create synergies between the different offices to further accelerate growth.
The successful candidate will be a leader and strong communicator, with an energy background and power systems experience with offshore/onshore projects, project management skills, and a clear ability to manage client relationships, both internally and externally. Experience with transmission/distribution, power generation, offshore infrastructure, and/or renewable energy is desired. The ideal candidate will be adept at managing a business unit, identifying, and responding to business opportunities, and leading a team of technical consultants.
- To take ownership of the US market and focus on the delivery of the agreed annual budgets and operating plan to deliver monthly, quarterly, and annual targets for sales, revenue, profit, and cash.
- Create a robust sales strategy for the USA and develop and maintain a healthy sales pipeline and initiatives. This will involve keeping up to date with opportunities, customer trends, and competition in the local onshore/offshore wind market.
- Prepare annual business and expansion plans with the relevant strategic goals and objectives based on the needs and priorities of the local market. Identify and present potential new services, new markets and acquisition targets that will support the company’s growth aspirations.
- Responsibility for local business development including calls, meetings, and marketing activity to generate new business. Undertake sales / business presentations to sell and promote services and develop and manage key customers. Attend relevant conferences and workshops to maintain visibility and identify business opportunities.
- Regular communication including weekly, monthly, or quarterly performance and progress reports to company headquarters. To produce business performance reports, which could be on a monthly or quarterly basis.
- As country representative to be the first point of contact for all customer requirements and expectations with the US and agreed customer base.
- Work with the commercial team to ensure all opportunities are recorded and managed through the company’s project management system.
- Ensure bid and contract governance is maintained for all sales opportunities, and create, negotiate, and close commercial contracts with support from the central UK team. Support the negotiation of the commercial and technical terms as well as the legal contracts.
- Devise, implement and manage an operational plan that enables overall operational delivery and recruiting of staff. Create project budgets and ensure profitability, quality, and consistency of delivered projects. Drive a project management methodology that minimizes risks on projects and maximizes the chances of success.
- Support the development of local content and team. Recruit, vet and train all new team members to support the expansion and business plans in line with local labor laws.
- Collaborate closely with clients and other companies, as appropriate, to deliver customer solutions and support the overall growth and profitability growth within the Group.
- To meet all Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality (SHEQ) requirements and commitments.
- Ensure legal compliance, and support local administration requirements, returns and governance, working with partners.
- Reasonably frequent travel to meet with clients will be required, as well as occasional travel to our UK offices to meet and work with the teams there.
- A degree in a relevant engineering or energy discipline with some financial qualification or training, and a solid understanding of financial planning and budgeting.
- General management experience with the ability to oversee all aspects of business operations, including recruitment and training staff and maintaining budgets.
- Strong understanding of how a business operates with a proven track record of demonstrating business acumen.
- Regional expertise with a deep understanding of the country’s local politics, laws, and regulations. Knowledge and experience of the renewables energy sector, customers and competitors, and a full understanding of the services offered by the company.
- Excellent networking skills, with a strong and existing network in Renewables / Power Systems for Wind Energy and a track record of proactive business development and client relationship management.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to communicate with clients and colleagues at all levels (written and verbal), organizational, negotiation and public presentation skills.
- A motivated, self-driven individual with the ability to work with little or no supervision and possess the ability to assemble and manage teams.
- Experience with MS Word, Excel etc.
- Must be able to work in the US without company sponsorship.
- Ability to work on projects/meet clients in Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and North Carolina.
- Willingness and ability to travel
- Master’s degree in engineering, or MBA – preferred
- Offshore wind industry experience.
- Consultancy experience.
- A network of existing offshore wind energy contacts in the North American energy industry.
- A keen sense of the future challenges for the North America energy sector, and in particular the offshore wind industry.
- Valid US driver’s license